CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 20, 2008

I am now officially a Marathoner!

Wow! What an experience! I have to say that running a marathon is one of the hardest things I've ever done. But I'm also so glad that I did it. I'm sorry I haven't posted about it yet, but I've been resting ;0) and thinking a lot about the experience. I have to take a few days to mull it over in my brain in order to talk/write clearly. And I'm grateful to Vince for being my soundboard, and not minding that the marathon has been the only thing I've talked about for the past two days! (Thanks, Babe!)

I've been preparing for this for 6 months. And I honestly think it was harder to do than I actually thought it would be. (Not that I wouldn't recommend it, though, so if you've been thinking about it, it's awesome too, just hard!) I've been trying hard not to feel disappointed in the results, because really the main goal for me was to finish! But I was so far off my time goal, that it's been hard to feel complete satisfaction from it. I originally wanted to run a 4 hour 30 minute marathon. Then in training, I adjusted my goal to 4:45. My chip time was 5:11:44. I was #79 out of 89 in my age group. I think there were many factors that affected my performance:

1. TOTAL lack of sleep the night before. (I was way too wound up--and probably slept 4 hours total, if that.)
2. Having to take a potty break after the 1st 3 miles. (I think I drank too much before the start, and at that point, the lines for potties were so long, I wasted 7 minutes just going to the bathroom!)
3. Wind! (It was a pretty windy day. And I was slow enough that I experienced headwind from about mile 7-13. But then I turned north, and had fabulous tailwind to the finish! That part was great!)
4. Running too fast at the beginning & using up too much energy to start off. (After my 1st potty break, I was really anxious and tense, and tried to catch up on time by running faster. I think that really hurt me more than anything, and I tired out more quickly than on my practice runs.)
5. Inadequate fuel intake. (They have these GU packs on the course, which is just a shot of frosting-ish carbohydrate, about 100 calories, in a little pouch you eat w/ water to give you a boost of energy. I've been training by taking them about every hour. The problem was they only had 2 fuel stations along the route--at miles 10 and 16. I think I was already tired by the time I started fueling up. If I could go back and do over, I'd bring my own & fuel at mile 7 or 8, again at about 15, and then again at 20 or 21 to get me to the end. But once I got to mile 20, I was so nauseous I could barely drink down water, let alone anything else. And that's when I really started to slow down. I just felt sick and weak the last 5 or 6 miles.)
6. Breaking the 1st rule of marathoning--Never do anything new during a race, only what you've tried in training. (In training I only ever drank water and used GU packs. But during the race, because I knew I'd only have 2 GU packs, I drank Gatorade on some of the stops. I've heard that Gatorade AND GU can sometimes affect the stomach in adversely, and I think that's part of the reason I got so sick. Next time I'll skip the Gatorade and just go for more GU.)

Now the positives:

1. I FINISHED!!!
2. I ran almost the entire route. I only walked at the water stations. (And sometimes a LITTLE past, but not much!) And the rest of the way I ran/jogged. By the time I finished, most people were walking the majority, but I kept shuffling along, and felt good about that!
3. I FINISHED!!!
4. I experienced such wonderful camaraderie from such fabulous runners! Like John T from Louisiana. He was probably in his 60's, and this was his 1st marathon, too! He was all alone--no one running with him, and no family at the finish. So he ironed on letters to the front of his shirt that read, "Yell 'Go John T'" so everyone knew him and cheered him on along the way! He was very sweet and felt bad for me as we were jogging along together, so when spectators would cheer for him, he yelled back at them and told them to cheer for ME! I also saw several people with the 50 states marathon t-shirt--this was their first Utah marathon. Some only had less than 10 states to go before they'd run a marathon in all 50 states! I also met a man who'd been running "since '73!" I met another man in a florescent yellow/green shorts and shirt that was a speed-walker. He walked all 26.2 miles, and finished before I did!! This was his 10th marathon in 2008! And by the end, we were all friends, and rooting each other on, and trying to distract one another by thinking of anything but the pain!
5. I FINISHED!!!
6. I am so thankful for all the people who made it out to support me! It made such a huge difference! Thanks to Leslie, my very pregnant internet friend who jogged with me (and she's due in 3 days, people!) for a few yards, asking how I was feeling, and cheering me to go another 8 more miles! You're awesome, woman! Thanks to Robin, one of my piano moms who met me at Liberty Park and jogged with me for most of the way around the park, exclaiming how amazing it was that I made it this far, what I was doing, and letting me know 3 miles was NOT that much further (even though at that point it really felt like it)! Thanks to Jeff & Becca who brought baby Tyler to smile and cheer me on. Thanks to both my parents & my (big) little bro Joseph who met me at the finish with Jeff & Becca & my family. You should've heard them yelling!! (Well, you can, if you check the video below...) And especially thanks to Vince who happily woke up at 4am with me, dragged the kids to 5 points along the way, took pictures, gave me high fives, and told me I could do what I never imagined I could've done! You're amazing, Babe! And I love you for it. I never would've gotten there if it hadn't been for you!!
7. I feel like I've learned so much from this first experience, and that I can take what I've learned now, and do it again--better--the next time!

That's right! I'm signed up to run the Ogden Marathon next on May 17th! And this course is going to be much easier, I think. It's all downhill. My new goal is under 5 hours! I'd love to get under 4:45. I think it might take me more time to reach my ultimate goal of a 4:30 marathon, but maybe that just means I'll have to train for another one in the future! It's amazing to think I'd want to do this again. But it really is exhilarating! And if you'd asked me on Saturday if I'd try it again, I honestly thought it would be misery to put myself through that experience one more time! But even the next day, I was excited to try once more (on an easier route!) to see if I could meet my goals! At least I can come away knowing what I can do to improve and do better next time! So if you're in the Ogden area in 4 weeks, come on by. I'll definitely be to the finish by noon this time!!



And now for the pictures:



Here I am shuffling by Sugarhouse Park







On the other side of Sugarhouse, going up the hill



I don't remember where this one was, but it was in the first half



This was taken on Van Winkle Expressway



Closer up on Van Winkle. I'm definitely looking tired now!



Here I am after it was all over, in the car waiting for Vince to get back from buying ice cream, pizza, and grapes for me. He said I should get whatever I wanted, and that's what sounded good! (Brookie took this picture, by the way. Not bad, eh?)

Here's me and Brookie waiting for dad

Here's Evan in the car! Hehehe! I love this picture! I guess a 4am start was just a little too early for this poor kid!

And here I am after it was all over, proudly sporting my medal, and so glad to be done!

And this is the wonderful short video Vince took of me as I was getting the crowd to cheer me on the last few hundred yards, right to the finish line. It still brings me chills watching it again. That was the greatest moment in the entire race! Thanks again, everyone!

11 comments:

Joanna said...

Hurray, Becks! I'm so proud of you! But you forgot to mention the most important thing: how many of your toenails fell off?

Nurse Heidi said...

WAY TO GO BECKY!!! I think it's pretty darn stinking awesome that you made it all the way to the finish line. You give me hope that I can one day be as cool as you ;), and do a full marathon instead of a weenie little half. I'm hoping for next year when my baby is a little older.

My friend that ran the SL and didn't like it heard that the Ogden one is much better - nicer course, better organized, and hopefully no taquitos at the end :P. I'm looking forward to see how you do on it.

Becky said...

Hahah, Jo! Actually, I had toenail problems a few months ago on my 2nd toe of each foot, since that's my longest toe. But just this morning 1/2 my 3rd toenail came off! I'm just glad I paint my toes, 'cause then I just cover up the nasty things w/ red nail polish!

And thanks, Heidi! And a half is so not weenie at all!

The Mattingly Family said...

Way to go!! You're amazing. I know I won't be running that much anytime soon (if ever, i'm not a big fan of running). Congrats!!!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Becky, I admire you more than I can say.

And I think you've learned so much from running this marathon; I think you'll be able to improve your experience the next time.

And curses! I don't think I'll be able to see you in the Ogden marathon either. :( I'll just keep rooting from Boston.

Sheri Willardson said...

All I can say is WOW! Loved hearing about the race-and I am so impressed that you are going to do it again!

Nurse Heidi said...

Hey Becky, can you send me an email at hvawdrey at gmail dot com? My friend is wondering if you'd mind a driving buddy for that one, and maybe to run with. She's done a couple between 4 1/2 and 5 hours. The SL was her worst time yet because of foot problems, so I think she's trying to redeem herself ;).

Wookface said...

Becks, you are amazing! I think it is so awesome that you have done this. Seriously, how many people can say they have run a marathon? Only those people who have done it! That doesn't include me! Very impressive!

Melissa said...

That is so great Becky. I am truly amazed.

SwimPool said...

Becky,

What a great blog! It's inspiring to read about all the things you learned and experienced as an official marathoner. Congratulations!

And I didn't know you're a camper. I'll have to get some camping suggestions in the area from you.

Robin

Mama M said...

I have had a difficult time this week getting to the computer, and so I have just now read this post and watched the video clip. Better late than never!

It was such a moving and emotional thing as Dad and I stood at that spot for about 45 minutes watching for you. We knew you had slowed down and I kept praying silently that you would feel the strength to reach the end of the race. I loved seeing the faces of the people as they approached the finish line, some limping, some with arms raised in triumph, some in obvious pain, some with intense concentration on their faces, and even a few who were weeping. I felt admiration for each and every one. But the best moment was seeing you as you approached, and cheering and calling out your name. What a wonderful moment for a parent, to see a beloved child accomplish something so difficult, something that required so much discipline and commitment!

You are my hero! I admire and love you more than you can know!