CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

I Beat Beethoven



Now that I'm taking a break from long-distance racing for a while, I really wanted to work on speed and improve my 5k time. My fastest 5k time so far has been in the 26 minute range. So I wanted to get under 26 minutes by the end of this summer. A neighboring city put on a fun 5k race this weekend called "Beat Beethoven 5k" in which they play Beethoven's 5th Symphony at the start, and racers try to get to the finish line before the end of the last movement. Knowing my love of running and my love of good music, you can imagine how fun this race was for me! The best part was they actually had a man dressed with a crazy gray wig--Beethoven--running the race. He had a picture of Beethoven on the front, and on the back was printed these words: "Accelerando. That means run faster." I really wasn't too worried about beating Beethoven, as his 5th Symphony is over 30 minutes long. But this is probably the last 5k I'll do this summer, so I really wanted to set a personal record.


The course was more hilly than I usually like. But then again, I'm used to running on hills. So I felt strong when we started chugging up the hill and I passed all those buff men and skinny ladies that are huffing their way to the top. It's exhilerating! I pushed myself the entire way, and crossed the finish line in 25:42! I also was the 8th woman to cross the finish, out of about 120 women who ran the race. Unfortunately, I was in the 20-29 year age group, and their were 5 other faster young 20-somethings ahead of me. So even though I was 8th overall, I was 6th in my age group! But I was so happy; I not only Beat Beethoven in this fun race, but I beat myself, so to speak.

11 comments:

Montana Mom Marjorie said...

What a great combo--running and music! Glad you did so well!

Nurse Heidi said...

That sounds like a total blast!!! I'll do it with you next year. If we wouldn't have been out of town, I would have totally gone. Congrats on being a speedy woman : ).

Stacey said...

What a fun idea for a race! Great job on making your goal! You are awesome!

Baldwincrew-blog said...

Good job on the race it was fun to see you there. Keep up the running you are doing awesome and you look great!

Leslie said...

Awesome run Becky, seriously! To PR with hills too, way to go! I better watch my back...

Kim said...

That sounds like it was a lot of fun! Maybe I should suggest it to someone out here...I would totally do it!

Way to go on beating your own time. That's always satisfying. I've got 2 5Ks in October - I think I'll be lucky to beat 30 minutes. :)

Mama M said...

Reminds me of the days when I was a substitute teacher. One of the middle schools where I often worked would play the "William Tell Overture" in the hallways between classes. Those kids knew to the quarter measure just how much time they had to the end of the recording. It was amazing to see these gawky young bodies tearing through the hallways to beat the music so they would not be late for class.

Glad to know that you were faster than old Ludwig von.

Casey said...

What an inspiration you are! I love to see you out running...makes me keep up my pace while I WALK! Glad you found my blog, and I "found" yours! I'll add your link to my friends! :)

Momzoo said...

Well hello Becky, how in the world did you find my blog!

Now you are really going to find out what kooky neighbors you had...!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

SWEET! I really, really like the idea of this race.

Congrats, m'dear.

Sheri Willardson said...

Good for you! I love Beethoven, but I usually run to more upbeat, alternative music. I might have to try some Beethoven and see if it helps me run faster too...