CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Sweet Moments of Motherhood

I love being a Mom! It is seriously a wonderful job! It was reiterated to me several more times in the past week and a half that I am a lucky, lucky woman.

After Evan came home from Kindergarten on Friday, during lunchtime, we got into a discussion about our bodies. Evan's had a bit of a cough, and during lunch he asked me, "Mom, why do we cough?" So, being the good mom that I am, I started into a long discussion on different organs in our body and how they work. We talked about little germs that get in our lungs and that we cough to get them back out. We talked about how the lungs fill up with air like a balloon and take oxygen to our heart, which carries it to our muscles so they can move. We talked about the two holes in our throats that go either to our lungs or to our stomach. We talked about how sometimes if we swallow wrong the water goes into our lungs and makes us cough a lot to get it back out. "Mom, but what happens if air goes down the other tube?" "Well, when air gets into our stomachs, then we burp," I told him with a smile. Evan thought this was hilariously funny and laughed about it for the next few minutes. And I had to stop after our conversation and say a quick prayer of gratitude for being a mom to such an inquisitive, bright, delightful little 5-year old boy!

I admit, I'm not always a great mom. After a long few days of working extra, trying to get into the new routine of school and work and practicing piano and homework, being a hormonal woman, having Vince in Vernal again for a few days, and having grumpy tired children and being a grumpy tired mom, I snapped one night at bedtime, frustrated that my children were being silly instead of going to sleep. I lectured them on why we need to go to bed on time so we're not all cranky the next day, and that I was tired and needed it to be quiet. They got the picture and were silent again when I shut the door. Relieved that it was finally quiet again, but having a pit of guilt in my stomach, I returned to folding laundry. I found a dress that needed to be hung up, but I didn't have any more little hangers. So I quietly opened the door to the kids' room to hang it up. In the dark, I caught a glimpse of my sweet Brookie, kneeling on her bed, eyes closed and head down. I stood for a minute watching her finish, thinking that in the chaos and hassle of getting kids to bed, I'd forgotten to remind them to pray. She looked up and smiled at me in that sweet forgiving way only children do, and said, "I was just saying my prayers. I say my prayers every night." A few tears filled my eyes as I hugged her and told her how proud I was that she always remembers to pray, and that hearing her say that was the best thing that had happened to me all day. That night I knelt by my own bed and expressed deep appreciation to my Father in Heaven for sending me such wonderful children who, even amid my shortcomings, are cultivating a relationship with Him. I am so grateful. I may not do everything right, but it is a great comfort to a young mom to see them learning good things.

11 comments:

Jim and Brooke said...

I was so touched by your story. You are not alone. I have days and weeks that come and go, where I feel like I make a whole lot of mistakes, but my children still love me and are great kids. They are the sollace in my life. Its those bad days that I need to remember how blessed I am to have them! Youre a great mom, Becky!
love, Brooke

Janice {Run Far} said...

well hello... I am so happy you found me. Did you see Frances, Glen, Lydia and Maria all have blogs as well? Plus we have a HORSLEY NEWS blog, that we all post on. Check us all out.

So how are you? Been running? I have not been running to much since Ogden. The move really messed up my routine and I am struggling to get back into one. I found a marathon in Feb in Cinncinnati OH and I think I am going to aim for that one next, what about you?
Hope to hear from you soon.

Sheri Willardson said...

Becky, you are such a sweetheart, and to an outsider, like myself, you seem like the perfect mom! I can totally relate to the hard days. I feel like I have a lot of those. And I agree that watching our children cultivate a relationship with Heavenly Father is the sweetest reward of motherhood. Thanks for the sweet post-it reminds me that I have some work to do as a mother!

PS-It was great seeing you at the reunion-sorry we didn't get to visit more! :)

Kim said...

Thanks Becky. That's one of the things I enjoy most about blogging - drawing strength from others. You are a great mom, and I can't wait to have such fun conversations with my girls.
I'm also so glad for our little angels and how forgiving they are, even when we're frustrated and cranky. Their love puts me in my place and reminds me who they are and where they've come from.

Thanks again. Love, Kim

Mama M said...

Oh lovely Becky, your mother is just as pleased with you in this moment as you were with your sweet daughter in that moment. She is dear, and you are dear.

Are we not all so blessed to have wonderful mothers and wonderful daughters? Is not God good?

Lydia said...

It's great we have kids to reminds us of what is really important. Being a mom is so awsome. It just keeps getting better.

Horsley News said...

It is so fun to see your blog. Love ya.
Aunt Susan

Montana Mom Marjorie said...

HI Becky
So good to hear how things are going for you! Glad to hear that I was normal as a Mother as I had those same days and feelings. Your kids will grow up to be your dearest friends and they will marry sweet wonderful people!!
Love U!MMM

Leslie said...

Ah, what sweet kids. It's painful sometimes when our kids have to humble us, but it's probably just Heavenly Father's love again that we get it that way instead of some harsh chastisement.
Hope you're hanging in there. Life can definately be stressful. You should come trail running with me Saturdy the 20th - it'll be fun!

Palomita said...

Becky, I loved your story! I have many moments like yours, too. Thank goodness that we have forgiveness and the Atonement and love, and new days. And for sweet children, who are trying to be good, too.

I love you, and you are a FABULOUS mother!

(I just have to tell you, that it's almost 11pm, and Sarah is in the dark in my closet, since that's where she sleeps, "talking" to herself. It's soooo cute!)

Little Lawrences said...

Becky- that is a beautiful little story. It's crazy sometimes to think what these tiny little people can teach us!