CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

7 Random Facts

Thanks to Aimee for this fun tag! (She's my favorite old next door neighbor we've ever had!)


Mostly my random stuff is the funny, quirky, OCD things I do. I swear, everyone has a little OCD, right? Some more severe than I'll admit to, but all the same, everyone's quirky in some way!

1. I like to have balance in the universe. I like it when the numbers on my odomoter are a nice, round number, or if they make a palindrome (like 103301 or 97679). It always makes me feel happy when I can catch it. I also like things that are symmetrical. If I put flowers on this side of the flowerbed, I feel like I have to put the same flowers in the same place on the other side. Or pictures on the wall. Or furniture in the room. Or olives on the casserole. Or eggs in the carton. Yeah, I'm weird. I take out the eggs in the carton so that they balance: bottom left, the next one comes out of the top right, etc. If it's not symmetrical, I feel off balance. (It's a wonder I ever wore my hair in those side ponies when they were the style back in the 80's!)

2. My fingers are constantly moving. If there's music playing, I play an imaginary piano on my fingers to go along with the song. But the more likely scenario is that I'm typing on my fingers all the time! During a conversation, or watching TV especially, I'll type what's being said on my fingers. And if I ever happen to watch something with the closed captioning or subtitles--it's even worse! I have to force myself to stop. And if I'm not typing or playing the piano, I start cracking my knuckles or peeling my nails. Yuck! What is WRONG with me??

3. I actually LIKE to clean my bathroom. I'd MUCH rather scrub my toilet than I would vacuum my house. And I have a specific order in which I clean. First I do the tub and showers, then the sinks, then the toilet, and then the floors. And always in that order. Mirrors go last as well as polishing up the chrome on the faucets. Clean bathrooms make me smile. Somehow I can ignore the hairy carpet. (Sorry, Vince.)

4. I'm a talk radio JUNKY! Some of you may already know this little secret of mine. I carry a little hand-held radio with me around the house as I clean and go about my duties. I listen to Doug Wright on KSL in the mornings. But I'm an even more avid Dr. Laura fan. (Sorry, Mom!) I LOVE her show and rarely miss it, and will even schedule appointments around it if I can! I know, can you believe me? But I think her advice is right-on. I love her take on staying at home and on treating our husbands like MEN by being their girlfriends. I love her book, The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. It has literally changed my life! I will always be grateful for that.

5. I'm a home-body. I like to travel. I love to go see new things. We just got back from a trip to Montana last weekend, and a trip to Colorado yesterday! And I'm tired! I just want to be home. As much fun as it is to see neat things and visit wonderful people, I like being home and puttering around my own house.

6. I am SO not witty. In fact, I sometimes think I'm a bit of an airhead. I really am smart, I just can't think quickly on my feet. Yeah, I'm one of those people who laughs at jokes I really don't get. I ususally get them EVENTUALLY, but usually it takes me a minute (or an hour). I know people that can spout quick come-backs on the spot, and they come out so perfect and funny. I know people who are maybe not as witty in person, but reading things they write always makes me wonder how they can come up with such great stuff--their brains just work great like that. I usually analyze a situation for DAYS before I'll come up with a really good come-back, or comment, or joke. But by then, the moment is long gone, and alas, I can never come back to them.

7. I hate change. HATE it! I think I have a good disposition and that I can easily content myself with my situation and surroundings. But then I am content and don't WANT anything to be different! If it works, why change it? I have to constently tell myself that trying new things and stepping out of my little comfort zone will benefit me and everyone else in the long run. But I just don't want to. It's a battle I struggle with all the time. And unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) I married a wonderful man who thrives off of variety. He actually likes change! He's always thinking that doing something different is good and fun and makes life exciting. And I have to hold onto his hand (with a very firm grip) and jump out with him. And you know, if I hadn't, I would've missed out on so many things that I now love--running and water-skiing and even just flipping a house or painting a room. It's amazing how changing just a little something can give a new perspective and a breath of fresh air. Hmm. Maybe I don't hate change quite as much as I thought.

And now I can tag 7 more people: Shalon, Becca, Mary, Jo, Brooke, Marjorie (the Hogge family blog) and Mama (the Meyers family blog)

8 comments:

Lydia said...

It's so fun that we are all a little crazy together.

Sarah Coyne said...

Hey Becky, if you ever feel the need, you can totally come clean my bathroom anytime!
I'm the same with numbers (as far as even numbers go). Here is one weird example: I went into labor with Hannah on December 5th. But that is an odd day, which I can't stand! I needed to push at 11:30pm, but I didn't tell anyone until midnight, just to be sure that she was born on the 6th of December (an even day!) So, don't worry, it's not just you!!!

Momzoo said...

LOL!!! I hope you never saw my bathrooms!!

I am a Dr Laura junkie too...but I think we both knew that ;-)

You crack me up! Thanks for playing!

Casey said...

I want to know what Aimee think of being your OLD neighbor!? LOL!

And I'd be happy to make you a deal...you come scrub my toilet, and I'll come vacuum your house!

Love Dr Laura and all her books too! However, I've never arranged my schedule around the show. That's true devotion!

bonnie jack said...

i do that with the eggs too. it's artistic.

Kim said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who balances my egg carton! I hate it when there's an odd number in there... :D

Papa said...

Hmmm. I wonder how much of this you got from me. I'm very much like you with #1, #5, & #7. I like to arrange the eggs in the carton, too, which is why I very much prefer 18-egg cartons to 12-egg cartons; odd or even, you can always make the eggs symmetrical about a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal axis; or you can put them into domino patterns--6 on the left and 7 on the right.... As for #4, well, I like talk radio, too, and I've listened to Dr. L sometimes, too, but then I get frustrated a lot with how dumb some people are, or with Dr. L when she sometimes interrupts someone without really hearing what they're saying and jumps to a wrong conclusion (at least that's what I think she's done). Anyway, it would seem that in many ways you are my daughter.... :-)

Tae said...

Hi Becky! Just ran across your blog! Oh man: I TOTALLY do that finger-typing thing too! I thought my dad and I were the only ones in the universe! Awesome :) Hope things are going well!