CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 30, 2009

And Four Became Five


Well, after waiting for so long, it finally happened. And I started this post last week, but didn't seem to ever have the time to finish. Plus, I've still been mulling the experience around in my mind for the last week, and needed some time to process it in order to tell you about it. I'm like that, though. Always have to think things through for a long time.
I will have to start at the beginning. And bear with me as I go through all the wonderful details. (Hope it doesn't gross anyone out!) I'd been feeling pretty miserable lately, especially since going in to the hospital on Sunday thinking I was in labor, and then being turned away and having to go back home babyless. Not a fun experience. By the time I made it to my appointment on Friday morning, I was so ready to be done. After talking to my midwife about my options, she asked if I wanted her to strip my membranes (even though she technically shouldn't have done it, she says, she was willing to as long as I didn't mention it to any of the other ladies in the practice). I told her YES right away!

I had some mild cramping and some contracting throughout the rest of the day. But nothing really too impressive or consistent. And I'll admit, that did disappoint me. So in order to not get so discouraged by sitting around thinking about how much I wanted to go into labor, I decided to go to my little brother's High School Graduation. Maybe the baby got bored during the long ceremony, or maybe it was walking up and down the Marriot Center stairs. But I noticed on the ride home, I started having some contractions, but only every 20 minutes apart or so.
At home, I made dinner and got the kids ready for bed. All the while I kept contracting, but they were still 15 minutes apart or so, not a big deal. But I did notice that they started to get more and more impressive (meaning painful). I really wanted to stay up and walk around and make sure they didn't fizzle out once again, but Vince wisely suggested we go to sleep. If it wasn't the real thing, it would spare me the emotional drama of it all. If it WAS the real thing, laying down wouldn't stop them, and I'd at least get some rest before a long night. He is a wise man, isn't he?
I was able to sleep for a few hours, but was still aware of contracting. At about 2:00 am I couldn't sleep anymore and decided to get up and read for a while. The contractions were definitely strong now; I was finding it hard to breathe through them, and really had to concentrate now. But they were still so far apart. At about 4:00, though, I knew it was the real thing. I called the midwife on call. She said they usually like us to wait until the contractions are at least 5 or less minutes apart, but if I really wanted to come in, I could. At this point they were only about 8 minutes, but since I was already at 4 cm dilated the day before, I wanted to get to the hospital in enough time. So I called my Mom, and woke up Vince and got dressed. My Dad and Joseph got to our house to stay with Brooke and Evan, and Vince and I left for the hospital, with my Mom right behind us. Vince could tell when I was having a contraction because every few minutes I would tell him to hurry up and drive faster!

By the time we got to the hospital and checked in it was about 5:15. They checked me and I was dilated to 6 1/2 cm. So I had made some progress. I decided to try laboring in the tub for a while to see if that would help with the pain. It was the perfect way to labor!! I was able to relax with each contraction instead of fighting with them. The next time they checked me I was at an 8. I was amazed that even in transition, the contractions were still only about 5 minutes or more apart. I think it really helped that I was able to take a break in between each one. Vince even got me laughing in between contractions. My mom commented on how she couldn't believe I was joking and laughing while in transition!

They checked me again and I was almost fully dilated--9 cm with just a lip of cervix left. The midwife, Claudia, just told me to do what felt natural. She said to go ahead and push if I felt like I needed to push. At this point though, my water was still intact (which is why I think the contractions were so manageable). After a few more contractions, I asked Claudia if she'd break my water. This was the point that everything changed!
It took a few tries to get the bag to rupture, but once it did, I had literally about 5 seconds before the baby's head came down, and FAST! With my other children, I felt like the pushing stage was the best part. Not this time! This was by far the hardest and most difficult part. I felt like I had good control until then. But fortunately, I didn't have much time to suffer, as she moved down so quickly. It's hard to describe, but at this point I felt like I was watching myself, and hearing myself, but not quite in my body--as if I were watching from above. It was an odd feeling. But a few quick, good pushes, and at 7:40 am on May 30th (just 2 1/2 hours after arriving at the hospital!) little baby Rachel Victoria was in my arms!! It was such an amazingly incredible experience! And as funny as it seems, I remember thinking just after she was born, that I NEVER want to experience a natural birth again! But even now, just over a week later, I see it differently. I guess the mind really does forget! ;0)

She has really been the perfect baby! She weighed in at 7 lbs 7 oz. (which is 12 oz bigger than Evan, and over 1 1/2 lbs bigger than Brooke!) and she was 19 inches long. She has the most amazing hair of any newborn. Her hair is dark underneath, with frosted silver tips, like Brooke's hair was, but lighter even than that. Her eyebrows and lashes are light blonde, which makes me think she may be a blondie!
She loves sucking on her fingers (or anything else that comes near her mouth) and is a great eater and a great sleeper! She fusses very little, and smiles a lot for a newborn! She even smiled at me for the first time yesterday! How clever of her!


Brooke and Evan are already smitten with their new little sister. Brooke we all knew would be a good little mama. She has been SUCH a help to me!
But Evan surprised me a little. He's never been much into little brand new babies. He usually doesn't want to hold them. But he walked in to see her the first time, and quickly got into an argument with Brooke about who was going to hold her first! Evan loves to kiss her head and stroke her hand. He loves to get close to her when she's awake and say, "Hi, Baby Rachel. I'm your brother!" And whenever he leaves for a while and comes back home, he'll run up to her and talk in his baby voice, "Hi, Baby Rachel! I'm back home now!"

I could go on and on. We're all in love with her. New babies just add such a special Spirit into our home. I waited so long for her. I'm so glad she's with us, and has become a part of our new family of five.

16 comments:

Lisa said...

Congratulations, Becky! Rachel is so sweet and your other children are adorable. What a fun post to read.

Leslie said...

Yay! So glad you have you little girl. She's such a doll too! How was getting out of the tub to deliver? That scares me! I'm glad I was able to stay in. You sound like you did a fantastic job though, congrats!!!

Momzoo said...

congratulations!

Your post makes me baby hungry!

Montana Mom Marjorie said...

Oh what an incredible feeling I had as i read this and saw the pictures! Feelings from Heaven i think!
Love you 5!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh! I kind of started crying a little when I read about Evan's reaction to her.

Thanks for sharing the story luv. I'm so glad she's here too! (And so glad I'll get to meet her in a month!)

Megan said...

Congratulations! She's adorable. Thanks for sharing your story.

Natalie said...

She is beautiful! I'm so glad she's here, and I enjoyed reading the story of her birth. (I love having midwives deliver my babies. Claudia delivered Ashlee. I felt like I had the same out-of-body experience during pushing too. We'll have to chat). You look great by the way!

Marie said...

Thanks for sharing and congrats! So fun to read and it brings back so many memories...although you are much tougher than me! The best way to describe it...like falling in love all over again. It makes my heart full and brings tears to my eyes. Enjoy her, you've waited a long time!

Sheri Willardson said...

Oh, Becky, CONGRATS!!! I am so happy for you!! Another beautiful baby girl-here safe and sound. You are MY hero for doing a natural birth-I have always wanted to and then I chicken out and just get the epidural. Way to hang in there!!

Victoria Blanchard said...

Congratulations! Rachel is beautiful

I hope you don't mind me reading your blog---I'm a friend of Joanna's (and I married Ryan Blanchard, whose cousin you dated), and I remember helping babysit Brooke as Jo's freshman roommate at BYU. It's so fun to read about you having Rachel because I'm just about to have my first, a girl, and I also am going to try for a fairly natural birth. I also miss running and can't wait to get back in shape and do another marathon. :)

Best wishes!

Jim and Brooke said...

I am so happy for you and your family to have your new sweet Rachel in your home! She is beautiful!
Who ever your photographer is, did a great job too.
I just have to say, I am so proud of you for doing a natural birth! I am so glad you were able to laugh and relax in between contractions too. That must have been such a help.
My last 2 children were natural births, and there is nothing in the world that can match the pain, beauty, and satisfaction I have gotten from both experiences! They were both very different, but wonderful!
You did fabulous!!!
You are a beautiful mother and have a wonderful family!

Jenn Mobbs said...

She is beautiful!! I love her hair. Natural is hard but an amazing experience. I wish I could have done it again but I could not manage the pain any longer. That makes the score 2 to 1 for the epidural. Anyway... Congatulations!!

Mama M said...

Sweet Becky,
I read this post days ago, but my life has been a wee bit (read that entirely) out of my control for the two weeks since Rachel's birth, and I am just now able to catch my breath long enough to add my comment to this wonderful post.

It was such a joy and honor for me to be with you and Vince as you brought this beautiful daughter into the world. All your readers need to know that not only did you have amazing control through the entire labor and birth, but you also had the most patient, kind and humble demeanor as well. There was such a powerful outpouring of the Holy Spirit throughout those predawn hours, and it was so meaningful to all of us to have Rachel enter the world just as the sun was lighting the sky and resting on the Mt. Timp temple, which we could see framed in the window of your L&D room. How great was that, since that was the place where your family began?

Since Daddy Vince did not want to cut the cord, you allowed me to do that important little ceremony. (And may I just say that Vince was a trooper, too. I know that the "business" end of the process is not his favorite thing, but he was so sweet with you and the new baby. Amazing to me that someone who can gut a deer would rather let his mother-in-law cut the baby's cord, but we all have our own unique strengths!)

I am so grateful to be your mom, and Grammy to your THREE DARLING KIDS!

Joanna said...

You're so awesome. Way to go!

And again, I love the picture of Rachel smiling.

The Hurst Family said...

Becky-somehow I missed this post for a few days. Glad I scanned down and was able to enjoy your beautiful experience for just a minute. You have beautiful children, just like their mother. I'm so happy for you and Vince. I hope you'll be able to come to the Barney reunion on June 27th at my Stake Park and we can ooh and ahh over Rachel there. Congratulations. RaeAnn

Nurse Heidi said...

Oh she's delicious!! I can't wait to meet her in person :)!