CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Who Needs Television?

I have to say, I have the greatest husband in the world! He took off 2 weeks over the Christmas break to start work on our basement. I'm still amazed that he can manage to figure out how to build an entire basement almost completely on his own! Of course, he has gotten some help from me and the kids:

Although, I'm not really sure how much they really help. But I think the kids and Vince all enjoy working together on this big project.

A few months ago, Vince began the big basement project by building me food storage shelves in the utitily room. Don't they look great?! And now I finally have a place to put all the stuff I buy from the sales I found on Pinching Your Pennies.
Yes, Mom. It is mostly cereal. Have to have my year's supply of Cheerios!
And I'm just including this picture because way in the corner on the left side is my official stash of diapers! They had a great sale this week (thanks, Heather!), and I feel so proud to have 6 packages of diapers on my storage shelf! It's been many long years since I've had to buy diapers.
The other most exciting thing that's happened in the Hogge house came this week. Remember that washer and dryer I mentioned in a previous post? Well, Vince got a nice Christmas bonus from work this year, and he decided (yes, it was actually HIS idea) it was time to get an upgrade:
A front loader, even! It's amazing what new appliances can do to boost your enthusiasm for doing mundane chores. Vince commented how...what's the word he used...BARE the laundry room looked without the loads of dirty clothes that normally pile up. Just this morning I walked in my laundry room and thought, "Oh, I want to wash something! What can I wash?" I guess it really shows that I'm old, because this has been the highlight of my week! As the delivery man was leaving on Tuesday, he could tell how excited I was to have my new washer and dryer. He looked at me and laughed, and asked, "Now, did you ever think when you were growing up that you'd be so excited to do laundry?" Nope. But I am now! And the only problem I have now is, who can I get to fold it...
One of my favorite things about getting the new washer has been to see how excited Brooke & Evan have been! They were so happy that they can help me unload the wet clothes and pile them in and start the dryer. And because it's a front loader, they have become mesmerized by the clothes spinning around and around getting clean:

Man! Who needs a television when you have a washing machine?

10 comments:

Casey said...

Looks like you got a nice set! I'll come fold for you if you'll wash my windows!!!

Kim said...

heeheehee!!! That's great! I would totally do the same if I had that washer and dryer! Congrats! :)

Leslie said...

You do have a great hubby! And front loaders?!? Yeah /i'm totally jealous... :)

bonnie jack said...

what cute kids. that picture of them watching the washing machine is really funny.

does your husband want to come finish our basement and build us food storage shelves? just kidding. kind of.

Mama M said...

The picture of Brooke and Evan watching the spinning clothes made me laugh! It also reminded me of one of my favorite chapters from one of my favorite children's novels.

In the original book, "The Hundred and One Dalmatians" by Dodie Smith, the puppies find shelter in a little church on Christmas Eve, and the Cadpig (runt) sits and stares at the manger scene all night, believing it to be the most wonderful television show she has ever seen. A very sweet and lovely moment.

(Really, to all your readers who are young mothers, get the book and read it to your children. It is so much better than any of the movie versions!)

Sheri Willardson said...

Hey, thats pretty cute. We've had a front loader for awhile, so I can't get my kids interested in it anymore. :) What a sweet husband for getting you a new washer and dryer.

Good job to Vince on the basement-it looks fab!! I am very impressed at your amount of food storage and supplies. When we move back to Utah, we might hire him to build us some storage shelves....

Sarah Coyne said...

So if Vince gets bored, feel free to send him to my house and he can start on my basement!!
Good for you on your food storage. Ours curently consists of 20 packs of ramen noodles and 15 cans of green beans. hmmmmmmmmmmm

Momzoo said...

Your shelves look so nice! I want some!

I got a set of HE front loaders about a year ago and I LOVE them! It has cut my work load almost in half and I have serioulsy seen my power bill go down. YAY, I am so happy for you!

Palomita said...

Yea - a new washer and dryer!!! I'm so happy for you!

Montana Mom Marjorie said...

I got a good chuckle out of the kids watching the washing machine, thanks for making my day better!!
love, MMM