CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hogge Reunion

I'm so slow. It's been TWO WEEKS since we've been back from our trip, and I'm just now finishing up this post. I don't have all the pictures I'd like; I didn't take any skiing pictures with my camera. So I'll post those when I get them from my in-laws. But at least for now I wanted you to see what fun we had in the GORGEOUS lake we got to play in.

Here I am (blue scarf) riding in the boat with my nephew, Trevor on my lap. Marjorie (my fabulous mother-in-law) and Alisa (Vince's sister) and her son Colten are behind me.

And here's Vince in the boat with the gorgeous lake behind him.
We rode the boat on Monday all together to start on the trail that goes up to The Falls above The Lake. It's a short, easy trail, so even the kids enjoy hiking up to the falls. And there was SO MUCH water this year--more than anyone had seen, and the Hogges have been coming to The Lake for, over 30 years? I don't even know how long. Generations, I guess we can say!

Vince & I with our kids and my niece Emma at the Falls. You can't see it in this picture, but we were up this close for just a few minutes, and came down DRENCHED--the spray was so intense. But it felt fabulous because it was such a hot day hiking up.

Vince & the kids at The Falls:

And me:

This is the view looking the opposite direction towards The Lake--gorgeous, no?
And of course, everyone has to pose with this beautiful scenery:

The whole Hogge clan hiking back down the trail:
Our children enjoying the traditional s'mores by the campfire:

I loved that Evan had one in each hand and was devouring his tasty treat:
The only bummers of The Lake were:

1. Mosquitos! Those nasty bugs were so vicious this year. We had to head to town after two days because we'd gone through about 4 cans of bug spray. We literally got out of our tent and had to spray immediately or we'd be eaten alive. Yucky!

2. The rain. We love skiing--sunrise to sunset. We got about 1 1/2 really good days, and then the other two we got half or full day of steady rain. Everything was wet by the time we got home. But those few days we had were well worth it!

For the rest of our stay, we went back to Vince's parents' house and ride the four-wheeler, the horses, lit fireworks, hiked, and went fishing. I'm not much of a fisherwoman. I had a negative fishing experience last summer that resulted in me paying a tremendous fine for dipping my son's "Lightning McQueen" fishing pole in a lake. But I decided to give it another try this year (legally, of couse--I did learn my lesson). Most of the experience was spent swatting more blood-thirsty bugs and stepping in muddy black swamp water. But it was worth it in the end because I got some darling pictures of my in-laws:

And the kids:

And the lovely scenery (this was the point at which I was bored):

But mostly because Vince is a good fisher:

And then we let him go. (He swam away VERY fast!):

But here are the pictures of the fish that got away:


Better luck next time!

It was a wonderful trip. Can't wait to go back again next year!!

5 comments:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I love how Brookie has that exact same head-tilt you used to have in pictures. There's something about that genetics stuff...

Also, it looks like you all had a wonderful time, and I am wholly envious. Except for the mosquitoes. Pleh.

Sheri Willardson said...

The scenery pictures are beautiful!I just can't get over how SKINNY you are now!! Looks like a fun trip.

And I have to tell you, my girls ask me every day now if they can watch "the hat cartoon." They have LOVED watching!

Nurse Heidi said...

Looks marvelous! Oh I'm just dying to go camping. Our little 2 hour taste of the mountains last weekend wasn't enough.

I can't believe you got a ticket for dipping a kiddie pole in the water : P. Now I'm curious about the whole story.

FYI, Stacey has her blog up again, just at a different address. Click on Runnergirl on my side bar, and Stacey and Erick for her family blog.

Leslie said...

Looks so fun! Hate those blasyed mosquitos though. I hope you got to enjoy some running in that beautiful scenery ;-)

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the pics - we've been excited to see them even if it did make me very sad that we weren't there. Next year!

I can't believe how tall Brooke is! Did she really grow that much in the 3 months we've been gone? We sure miss you guys!