CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesday Tell-All: Why I Run

Today's topic is exercise. This word used to put an instant lump of guilt in my gut every time I heard it spoken. It's like reading scripture or eating veggies or doing genealogy work: all those wonderful things in life we know we SHOULD be doing, but often have a hard time...well, finding the time. I've (mostly) enjoyed being active. But since I married Vince, I've learned to appreciate it much more. And even just in the last couple of years I've learned to CRAVE it. I can always tell when it's been a while since I've exercised. I start to get crabby and feel all bleh inside, and I just start itching to get out and pound the pavement. And as I'm sure you all know by now, my exercise of choice is running.

I love what running does for me emotionally. I'm not a morning person, but there's just something magical that happens outside in the early hours when the world is just starting to wake up. I love being a part of that and seeing it first hand. I love watching the sun come up over the Eastern mountains, and almost instantly feeling it warm my body. I love listening to the chatter of the early birds who have so very much to say to each other. I love the solitude of being left to my own thoughts--I can think about anything and everything I want. No one is pulling on my arm, needing me to tie a shoe or fix a toy. No one is competing for this time--it's just me. I love that. I need that.

I love what running does for me physically! For most of you that know me, you know I've always been a...well, chubby kid. "Pretty & plump" I think is how my Mom described me! ;0) She used to tell me I was like that female bunny on "Bambi"--definitely a girly-girl, pretty & plump. Weight has always been a struggle for me. But running has been the very best way I've found to get in a really good workout and finally get control of my weight. I eat better when I run. I look better when I run! And I feel much better when I run.

I also love what running does for me socially. Even though it's such an individual sport, it creates an instant bond between people. I get so excited when I find out someone else is a runner, because they understand all that it means to me. They understand what an accomplishment it is to run a 5k in 26 minutes, or to finish a marathon, or just to brag about a really good training run. I love that running can bring together total strangers and make them friends.

And I don't have to be fast to be a runner, or come in 1st place in a race. I just have to lace up my shoes and shut the door behind me, and I really feel I can conquer the world.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I love it 'Smiley'! That was an awesome post. You worded everything perfectly. And for what it's worth, I would've never guessed you've ever been plump, you look great!

Nurse Heidi said...

Amen, sister!! You summed things up perfectly